Friday, March 17, 2006

Lecture VI

In this lecture, one thing that stood out came in section 10. “O monstrous blindness, that from majesty so great came down so low!” This statement in its context of showing how vast the gap is between God and anything that we can put forth to attempt to take His place is, hit me. I think it is in part this massive separation that can give problems. From section 2, “but even if all the nurslings of the whole Church throughout the world, both that which now is and that which shall be, should meet together, they would not be able worthily to sing the praises of their Shepherd.” Since God’s greatness is so incomprehensible, the mind has not anything to compare it to and so in some sense, it does not recognize it. God is then in a way, put into this category of being too great to attempt and begin to imagine. This then presents a void in the mind and allows earthly things to fill into this place of power that is only deserved by God. Money, lust, and other such things are easier to give authority over us because we can grasp their power in our minds much more readily. I like how Cyril addresses this in section 4 saying “count these which are visible, and then describe Him who is invisible.” And the pictures presented in section 5 are good, my favorite one being “Or again, because I have entered into a great garden, and cannot eat all the supply of fruits, wouldst thou have me go away altogether hungry?” I have been somewhat hesitant to use my earthly things and ideas to describe God for fear of bringing Him lower than His place. But in being so, I have actually done worse by removing much meditation upon God and His character and replaced it with other things. This balance of trying to understand God and knowing that He his ultimately outside of my ability to know, is something I find difficult to hold, and so have tended to avoid it, thus erring towards the ‘God is unknowable so why bother’ side. I love how Cyril points out both aspects and encourages believers to “Learn then thine own weakness; learn from this instance the mightiness of God.” I hope I am making sense, it is pretty late at the moment. But this lecture, I find to be a real encouragement.
Dan

1 Comments:

Blogger C. Curtis Schrock said...

Dan, great post. I agree, we often falter by not thinking of God at all. This, of course, is a terrible thing. However, we serve a loving (and very forgiving) God, and not to presume upon those qualities, but I think he finds more pleasure in our pursuing him (rather than throwing our hands up in the air and not even trying). In any case, great post Dan.

5:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home